Some of the best things in life are free on Tybee Island. Live a little or live a lot when you visit. Life comes with its own soundtrack. Tybee helps give it a quirky beat. It’s a place to just be when your heart needs a hug. It’s just right for family fun, girls getaways, mancations, solo travels, pet friendly adventures and bucket lists. These are a few of our favorite things. Follow our lead and then make them your own.
1. You can write a sonnet about your pretty beach bonnet. Snap a photo of yourself posing in front of a vintage cottage while wearing your charming beach chapeau. Be styling in your beach wear chic that’ll have you featured in the rotogravure, for sure.
2. Relax and get in the swing of things. Some are perched high atop a wraparound porch and others plop down from giant tree boughs. You’re never too old to kick off your flip flops and swing your feet while sharing laughs and memories in a swing.
3. Lie in bed all day and just be board. Did you know antique and vintage doors, room dividers, privacy screens, oars and paddles and picket fence sections make the most dreamy headboards?
4. Crawl up in a secret, fantasy nook and enjoy a good book.
5. Create a tablescape that’ll make guests green with envy. A sea foam green tray. Your favorite candle scent. A naturally green bouquet plucked right from the yard of your cottage.
6. Row, row, row your boat. Slip into the comfort of your own kayak and cruise the Back River. You’ll never be oared.
7. Got places to go, but don’t know how to get there? Walk this way… and that way…and wherever your soul guides you.
8. Capture a moment in time and make it last forever.
9. Just wing it. Never seen the ocean before? Put on your water wings and dive right in!
10. Be patriotic. Wherever you see our American flag, stop right there and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Take time to be grateful.
11. Wish upon a starfish. Go shelling. Collect sand dollars and starfish. Just don’t collect any live specimens, okay?
12. Be a good Voluntourist. Ask about volunteer activities available during your visit. Help keep Tybee clean. Donate goods to our local food bank. Become a temporary foster for a shelter pet.
13. Get off the fence. Enjoy leisurely strolls through our naturehoods and enjoy the whimsy of our decorated fences, doors and gardens.
14. People watch. Folks who live and work on Tybee Island are passionate about their lives. It’s business in the front and party in the back. Just sit back, observe and admire the choices our locals have made to be able to live here, work here and be happy.
Yep. Some of the best things in life are free on Tybee Island. Wish upon a Mermaid and let us help you free your mind. The rest will be follow.