Motorized cart rules for Tybee Island have been announced. Golf carts are a convenient way to navigate Tybee Island for both our residents and visitors. Make sure you are up-to-date on the current regulations and permissible roadways for the best and safest experience!
No motorized cart may be permitted to operate on Highway 80/ Butler Avenue.
Carts may only cross at Highway 80/ Butler Avenue at these designated locations:
- Highway 80/Butler Avenue at locations south of Park of 7 Flags
- At the traffic-controlled intersection of 14th Street and Highway 80/ Butler Avenue
- At the traffic-controlled intersection of Campbell Avenue and Highway 80
- At the traffic-controlled intersection of Jones Avenue and Highway 80
Motorized carts that are appropriately registered and operated are allowed on all streets of the city except Highway 80/ Butler Avenue as stated above.
Do Not Drive on the Bike/Pedestrian Pathway in Memorial Park.
CART SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
- Every motorized cart must be inspected annually and registered with the Tybee Island Police Department
- Carts must display the numbered registration sticker (T-sticker) on the bottom left of the windshield. Sticker is a one-time cost of $15.
- The following operational lights are required: headlights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals and top-mounted amber/yellow, flashing/rotating lights
- Carts must have a horn and seatbelts
- The cart’s maximum speed capability must not exceed 20 miles per hour, otherwise, it is not considered a golf cart
- Operation on sidewalks is prohibited
- Operators must comply with all traffic regulations applicable to regular traffic
- Only licensed drivers 16 years or older with minimum insurance of $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, and $15,000 in liability may operate a motorized cart. Proof of insurance must be shown at registration and kept in the cart
All parking regulations must be observed, including the following:
- Parking must be paid for via meter, ParkTYB app, or decal
- At current rates, parking decals, cart inspections, and T-Numbers may be obtained at the South Annex, 1509 Strand Avenue (across from the pier). Free parking permits provided to local taxpayers are not supplied for motorized carts
- If renting a golf cart, parking passes may already be installed by the company.
VIOLATORS ARE SUBJECT TO FINES UP TO $1,000 OR IMPRISONMENT UP TO 12 MONTHS.
Motorized cart rules have been announced for Tybee Island. Enjoy the convenience and the perks with your next stay with Mermaid Cottages.