What You Can Do To Help Our Island Environment When You Visit Mermaid Cottages on Tybee Island
* Slay “Vampire Power” by turning off all lights, TVs, DVDs & computers when not in use
* Use the outdoor clothesline to dry your clothes (they smell good too!)
* Open the windows turn on the ceiling fans and enjoy the ocean breezes!
* Use Cold, not Hot in the washing machine
* Draw your curtains/blinds during the heat of the day
Save Fuel and Drive Less
* Walk, ride bikes, rent scooters or electric cars!
* Save gas and have more fun — Tybee is better enjoyed moving SLOW!
The City is requesting that residents participate in a voluntary recycling drop-off program.
There are four locations where residents may drop off their recyclables. Recycling trailers are located in Memorial Park, Jaycee Park, and on the west side of Polk Street between Fort Avenue and Bay Street.
Residents may also drop off their recyclables at the Department of Public Works (DPW) Facility located at 76 Polk Street. The trailers are available 24 hours a day, but the DPW facility is open between the hours 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM weekdays, and 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM on the weekends.
The City is currently accepting the following recyclable materials at all locations:
Plastics #1 and #2
Aluminum cans and bottles
Mixed paper – office, newspaper, and magazines
The recycling trailers each have four compartments to separate your recyclables. Plastics #1 and #2 will go in one compartment; aluminum and tin cans will go in one compartment; mixed paper in one compartment; and cardboard in the last compartment. Please put the appropriate materials in the designated compartment.
At the DPW facility, there are separate dumpsters for cardboard, plastics, aluminum and tin, and a separate smaller dumpster for mixed paper. Staff will direct you to the appropriate bins.
Please separate recyclables and put them in the appropriate containers. In addition, please breakdown cardboard prior to putting it into the containers to allow more material to fit.
* Take your own bags to the grocery store
* Use Dish Cloths and cloth napkins and less paper products
* While brushing teeth, turn water off, and use a cup of water to cleanse mouth of toothpaste
* Use dishwasher only when completely full with dirty dishes
* Take shorter showers with tepid water
What Mermaid Cottages Is Doing To Help Our Island Environment
* Installing Compact Fluorescent light bulbs in all of our homes
* Lo-flow water-saving devices are installed in all bathrooms and outdoor showers
* All our cleaning products are eco-friendly
* Energy audits for all our homes to see how we can save more energy
* Planting drought resistant and local plants to help conserve water