We love pets, andmany of our cottages are pet-friendly. Dogs are the pet we mostly allow, but some homes are also cat friendly. Please check the cottage listings to determine which of our homes allow dogs and or cats. We do welcome other pets as well- so check with our mermaids to be sure your pet will be welcome.
Mermaid Cottages Pet Policies and Island Rules for Pets:
- Barking: The Tybee Island Noise Ordinance includes dogs barking. The fine is $210 per incident, and the city will fine you if any of the neighbors complain of the noise. Please be very aware of this ordinance.
- Pet Fee for Mermaid Cottages is $100 for up to two pets ($100 for each additional pet).
- Pets are not allowed on the furniture or beds.
- Please clean up any pet “poo” in the yard.
- Dogs must be on a leash when walked.
- Crates– if you are bringing puppies, we do ask you to crate when you are not home, or at the very least do not let them have the run of the home.
- Flea and tick protection : fleas are here on Tybee in full force, so please be sure your pets are current on their flea protection medicine.
- Dogs are NOT allowed on the beach, and again– the city will fine you if you are caught. $300 per dog.
Tybee’s Dog Park
There are now TWO Tybee dog parks!
Dogs are not allowed on the beaches anywhere on Tybee Island. Violators are subject to a $290 fine on the firstoffense! Cars get deadly hot in the summer time after only a few minutes, and animals found in closed vehicles will be rescued even if it means breaking a window on the car. Not being allowed to take your dog on the beach is no excuse for animal cruelty! Make sure you make arrangements for proper care for your pet before heading to the beach!
Finding the Dog Parks
The Tybee Dog Parks are located at the intersection of Van Horne and Fort Streets, between the Police Station and River’s End Campground and RV Park.
From eastbound Highway 80:
Turn left at Polk Street – the River’s End Campground sign is there, but it’s colored grey and easy to miss! If you reach the first traffic light on Tybee, simply skip to the Westbound Highway 80 directions after turning left onto North Campbell at the light!
Turn right onto Fort Avenue just before the campground.
Travel down Fort until you have passed the campground. The Small Dog Park is on your left. Turn left on Van Horne and park past the Court House to find the entrance to the Large Dog Park.
From westbound Highway 80:
Turn right at the traffic light onto North Campbell. Chu’s and the Post Office flank this intersection.
North Campbell ends at Van Horne. Turn left onto Van Horne.
Follow the curve around to the right until you reach Fort Avenue. Turn left to the Small Dog Park, just down from the corner. The large dog park is a little bit further on Van Horne, past the Court House on the left.
HOURS OF OPERATION: DAILY DAWN TO DUSK
PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL AND FOLLOW THESE PARK RULES:
- There are two dog parks. The one immediately on Fort Street is for small dogs of 20 lbs or less. The largerpark, accessible from Van Horn or Fort Street is for larger dogs. Please do not park in the police impound lot!
- The off-leash dog area is for dogs, their handlers and those accompanying them. No other use is allowed.
- All dogs must be legally licensed and vaccinated, and shall wear a visible dog license.
- Dogs under 4 months of age and female dogs in heat are prohibited.
- Dogs must be on leash when entering and exiting the off-leash dog area.
- Dogs must be under the control of their handler and in view of their handler at all times.
- Spiked collars are prohibited.
- Children 8 years and under are not allowed in the off-leash dog area; children ages 9 – 15 years must beaccompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older.
- Handlers must be 16 years of age or older.
- Handlers must have possession of the dog leash at all times.
- Handler is limited to a maximum of two dogs.
- Handlers must “scoop the poop” and fill any holes dug by dogs under their control.
- Food and drinks in glass containers are prohibited; training treats are allowed.
- Dispose of trash and recycling in provided receptacles.
- Dogs must be removed from the off-leash dog area at the first sign of aggression.
- No animals other than dogs shall be permitted in the area.
- Handlers are responsible for any injuries caused by the dog(s) under their control.
- Users of the facility do so at their own risk. The City of Tybee Island is not liable for any injury or damage caused by any dog.
To report immediate safety concerns call TIPD at 912-786-5600.
Comments and suggestions are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org.