At Mermaid Cottages our wonderful mermaid decorating team and some of our cottage owners are busy transforming our cozy cottages and historic homes into a winter wonderland. It’s the most wonderful time of the year to get Tybee-ized! Y’all comin’?
1. Friday, the preview party/artist’s reception for the Tybee Arts Association Art Show & Sale. From 6 – 9 PM at the Old Elementary School cafeteria. Look for TAA members circulating at the tree lighting. They will give you one FREE Raffle ticket for Fridays Reception Party…Your chance to preview the show and win a fabulous prize. Additional tickets for sale at the show, for drawings on Sat. and Sun.
2. On Saturday, the TAA Art Show & Sale from 10AM till 6PM. At 3 PM, Santa arrives next door at the YMCA. While the children visit Santa, you can do some special shopping with us.
3. On Sunday, visit the TAA Art Show & Sale from 10AM until 5PM. Find that special something that is made locally and found no where else…. paintings, fabric and fiber art, jewelry, mosaics, photographs, stained glass, prints and, well, you just have to come and see it all…
Experience our theme for this show “Great Expectations” beginning with your entrance through the portico of the Old School Cafeteria into our Wonderland (with real elves).
We have a treat in store for YOU!
20+ local artists and artisans welcome you to our last show in 2011… fulfilling the promise of “Great Expectations”
Highlights for 2011 Tybee for the Holidays:
– The Lights On for Tybee Celebration begins on Friday, December 2 at 6:30 p.m., when Mayor Jason Buelterman lights the Christmas tree at the Tybrisa/Strand Roundabout on the east end of the street. The evening will include variety of entertainment, extended store hours and special offers and complimentary refreshments at locations throughout downtown Tybee Island. Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus will also make a special appearance at this much-loved event.
– The Tybee Island Christmas Parade kicks off Saturday, December 3 at 1 p.m., running from the 14th Street parking lot to the YMCA on 5th Street. Get into the holiday spirit at this old-fashioned Christmas parade filled with the spirit of the season.
– The annual Holiday Shop-n-Stroll offers the opportunity to find gifts for everyone on your shopping list Saturday, December 3 and Sunday, December 4. Shoppers can obtain raffle tickets from the merchants they do business with in order to register for special drawings Saturday evening.
– The popular Tybee Floating Christmas Parade, which features boats, skiffs and yachts decorated in their holiday finery, departs from the dock at the Crab Shack on Saturday, December 10 at 7:15 p.m. Don’t miss all the fun!
– Tybee Island will feature New Year’s Eve Fireworks on Saturday, December 31 to ring in 2012 at the stroke of midnight. Enjoy the fireworks display from the pier, the beach or wherever you choose.
– The following morning, the annual Polar Bear Plunge will offer the opportunity to jump into the Atlantic Ocean for a brisk and refreshing way to start the New Year. On Sunday, January 1 at noon, don your favorite costume and gather at the pier on the island’s south end for an invigorating dip.
For more information about Tybee for the Holidays and for a complete schedule of events, please visit www.tybeefortheholidays.com.