Here’s a wonderful chance to live like a local! You’re invited to help develop the vision for the new Marine Science Facility for education and conservation!
Maria T. Procopio, Executive Director of the Tybee Island Marine Science Center, invites you to join us in creating the design of our future facility to be located on Tybee Island’s north beach. There will be public design sessions on June 28, 29, and 30 at the Shrine Club. The project architects, Sottile & Sottile, will lead us all through the process . There are three opportunities for you to participate:
Thursday, June 28th
· 4 to 5 p.m. Kick-Off Presentation – an overview of the project
· 5 to 6 p.m. Design Work Session – give your feedback and/or take pen-in-hand and start designing
· 6 to 7 p.m. Reception – food by Papa’s Bar-B-Que (and cash bar)
Friday, June 29th
· 1 to 4 p.m. Open Studio – Stop by, check-out the architects’ work and give your feedback
Saturday, June 30th
· 4 to 6 p.m. Project Presentation – food by North Beach Bar and Grill (and cash bar)
RSVP on facebook.com/TybeeIslandMarineScienceCenter or by phone at 912-786-5917.
The Tybee Island Marine Science Centers mission includes shaping a responsible stewardship of coastal Georgia’s ecosystem through marine science-based education, conservation, and research. The center provides year-round programs for island visitors, scouts, and school groups on the beach, in the marsh, on the water, in the classroom, and the Coastal Georgia Gallery.
While you’re here, we’d appreciate your support of our sea turtle programs. Our own coffee – Mermaid Morning Bliss
, which is available in all our homes and for sale at Seaside Sisters
, was created to support the sea turtle project in Georgia. Several Mermaids are also part of the 6AM Turtle patrol from May 1st — Sept 1st when we walk the beach looking for newly laid turtle nests. Lights out for Sea Turtles
is also very important and we have made sure our two beachfront cottages – Doyles on the Beach
and Crabby Jo’s
– have sea turtle-friendly lights and that our guests know what to do to for the homes to be sea turtle-friendly.
For more information on Mermaid Cottages, how to live like a local and voluntourism opportunities in Tybee Island, just give us a call! I do hope you’ll join us. It’s going to be an exciting time!