Around here, “being green” is about more than a pretty color! It’s so very important to Mermaid Cottages that we do our very best to take care of our environment, and we do everything we can to bring on the green. Being green isn’t as difficult as it seems. It is really just a lot of little actions that add up to big benefits when they become habits. We do a lot of those little things to reap the green benefits around here!
There are literally loads of ways to be a better steward of our Earth. What does Mermaid Cottages do to stay green? Well install Compact Fluorescent light bulbs in all of our homes to save on electricity and use Lo-flow water-saving devices in all bathrooms and outdoor showers. We keep all our cleaning products eco-friendly, which is better for you and your for legged family, too. We even conduct energy audits for all our homes to see where we might be able to save more energy. Mermaid Cottages even takes pride in making our outdoor living spaces as green as possible by planting drought resistant and local plants to help conserve water!
We invite our guests to join our green efforts during their stay, and maybe even take the good habits home with them! Here are just a few ways you can make your stay with Mermaid Cottages a little greener:
– Slay “Vampire Power” by turning off all lights, TVs, DVDs & computers when not in use
– Use the outdoor clothesline to dry your clothes (they smell good too!)
– Open the windows turn on the ceiling fans and enjoy the ocean breezes!
– Use Cold water, not Hot, in the washing machine
– Draw your curtains/blinds during the heat of the day
– Glass, plastic, cans, newspapers: use the home’s green recycling container
– Take reusable bags during your trip to the grocery store
– Use Dish Cloths and cloth napkins and less paper products
– While brushing teeth, turn water off, and use a cup of water to cleanse mouth of
– Use dishwasher only when completely full with dirty dishes
– Take shorter showers with tepid water
And that’s just getting started! It’s not just Earth friendly to be green…it’s even fun! Once you start thinking of ways to conserve, reduce, reuse, and recycle, the ideas just start flowing. So we invite you to join Mermaid Cottages in our efforts to be a little greener. Maybe even take the habits home as a way of keeping your Tybee State-of-Mind!