Always be a Mermaid with a camera, a blog, and an adventurous spirit…
I haven’t even been here a week and I have so many fun observations. I am amused by the vast difference between living in a big city and a small town. While I am sure some of these items might not seem unusual to most, the novelty of this new lifestyle is not lost on me.
· Ordering dinner: When I arrived to my Mermaid cottage, I called a pizza place for a bite to eat (you can take the girl out of Chicago, but…….). This restaurant was one block from my cottage. I ordered on the phone and they said, “we will call you when the pizza comes out of the oven”. This put the biggest smile on my face. To think a pizza place would call you back to be sure you have a hot dinner. And, sure enough, they did!
· Garbage day. I have been tossing my garbage down a trash chute my entire adult life. I love putting the garbage by the curb for pick up.
“…the novelty of this new lifestyle is not lost on me.”
· Cleaning my car: In the city, I navigate between two cars parked very close to me to load things in and out of my car. Here, I have so much space I can actually clean my car without worrying about dinging a car next to me. What a treat!
· I borrowed a bicycle to use during my stay. The bicycle needed air in the tires. I walked it over to a local bicycle shop and he put air in the tires and adjusted the seat for me. I said, what do I owe? He said, air is free! Don’t worry about it. Southern Hospitality at is finest.
· That same bicycle is outside my cottage and no one takes it! I can’t believe I don’t have to lock it up.
· On one of my morning walks, I saw a guy run at high speed into the water without a care in the world. It was so refreshing to see someone living his best life.
· I am very careful about social distancing. So, I walked over to the Tybee Island Light Station and Museum right when it opened. I wanted to be sure I was there without a crowd. The guide told me I was the first person of the day. She recommended I walk up the steps of the light house first. I asked if she needed me to turn the light on while I was up there? She said, it is already on. (tip your waitress, I will be here all week).
· There are 178 steps up to the top of the lighthouse. The pandemic had me well prepared for this trek. I have been going up and down 30 flights in my stairwell in my highrise in Chicago. The health clubs were closed so I had to improvise!
“Southern Hospitality at is finest.”
· I learned about so much history on Tybee Island. One of the things that stood out to me was that during the 1920’s (roaring 20’s) everything became more carefree. Every night there were dances held at the pavilion and the Tybrisa Pier was the most popular spot (a couple of blocks from me). I hope our roaring 2020’s has a similar fate!
· I had a knock at my door today and my friend dropped off lemons picked from her yard. I have to walk 6 blocks in the city to even find grass, this was so fun!
· When I learned I was going to be staying in a cottage built in 1930, I bought a record player for that old school feel. I wanted to properly represent the era. Over the holidays, I found my vinyl collection and now my favorite thing to do is to spin records while I am enjoying my cottage.
“Always be yourself unless you can be a Mermaid. Then you should always be a Mermaid.”
The Midwest Mermaid is our winter guest blogger and Mermaid Cottages is so happy to introduce you to her. She’ll be sharing a photo blog of her snowbird stay with us as she works remotely from Tybee Island.
Mermaid Cottages brand standards include enhanced cleaning according to CDC guidelines and complimentary Internet. If you’d like to enjoy one of our homes-away-from-home for one or two months, please contact Head Mermaid Diane for recommendations and rates at 912.313.0784 or email email@example.com.
Can’t stay one or two months? No worries! For nightly and weekly stays, create your reservation directly on our website and receive a 5% discount all year round and with no expiration date or black out dates. To receive your 5% discount, all you have to do is to enter our promotion code of DIRECT!